Things To Consider Before You Adopt:
- Our adoptable sled dogs range in age from 3 – 14. We very rarely have puppies/youngsters available adoption.
- Our adoptable sled dogs are: Alaskan Huskies, Siberian Huskies, Malamutes and/or mixes of all of the above.
- Our adoptable sleds dog are used to living in an outdoor, working environment. This means that they will need to be house trained and exposed to “house stimulus” like stairs, cars, vacuums, wood floors etc. Adopting an adult sled dog is similar to welcoming a puppy.
- Our adoptable sled dogs range from medium to high energy. In general they require multiple walks daily and engaging toys when inside the home. A bored/under exercised sled dog is a destructive and anxious sled dog!
Our adoptable sled dogs are trained to run and are therefore a high flight risk. We do require that they be on leash or within a fenced in yard at all times until proper recall training has been received.
- Our adoptable sled dogs have befriended many kitties in their new homes, that being said adopters are instructed to monitor all interactions with small animals as our four-leggers have limited exposure to them while with us and there is no telling how they may react.
Our Adoption Process:
- Step 1 – Complete and submit an adoption application. A completed application helps our staff get to know you better and introduce you to dogs that would do well in your home (or ensure that the dog you are interested in would be a good fit). Once we receive this information, we can then schedule an appointment for you to come meet our adoptable sled dogs.
- Step 2 – If you decide to move forward with adopting one of our sled dogs we begin processing your application (ie: checking references that you provide, reaching out to your vet etc). We also request a few nonintrusive home photos to get an idea of where the dog will play, sleep, eat etc.
- Step 3 – If your application is approved we then schedule a health certificate appointment (and spay/neuter surgery is necessary).
- Step 4 – You get to welcome your new four-legged friend!
Please note that in general the adoption process takes 2-4 weeks depending on how quickly we receive feedback from your references and how soon we can get the lucky four-legger in for any necessary vet appointments. We do not do same day adoptions!
Our Adoption Fee:
Is $250 and includes a health certificate, microchip, current Bordetella, DHLPP, and Rabies vaccines. The dog will also be spayed / neutered if not already altered. Lastly, they will be current on flea and tick preventative and go home with a small supply of kibble to help transition to the food you wish to feed.
Request An Adoption Application
Intake Information – Our facility is traditional working kennel (ie: completely outdoors) that actively conducts year-round, hands-on, recreational dog sledding tours for those ages 2+. We “specialize” in welcoming northern breed dogs that come from a working sled dog background, and are used to living outdoors 24/7, and are looking to continue their career as an active athlete. At this time, we do not have a network of foster homes available to assist with taking in other deserving northern breed dogs that do not meet this “criteria” if you will although it’s something we are working on.
That being said, we do frequently help dog owners and shelters rehome northern breed dogs in need by offering courtesy listings on our Petfinder and social media accounts. We have many followers and supporters looking to adopt active, high energy dogs, and add to their fur-families. We would be happy to assist owners in need by creating courtesy listings to help find great home potential homes. If we help do a courtesy listing, all adoption inquiries are directed back to the owner for further follow-up.